Thursday, April 23, 2020

Happy birthday, my love

Today is Gayland's birthday. He would be 83 years old.

He would have awakened me with a cup of coffee and said, "Come on, my love, let's walk in the garden to greet my birthday."



He enjoyed his birthday, and in true Gayland fahion, often used it as an occasion to help others. He would invite people to a party and ask that they not bring gifts, but donations to Planned Parenthood, or to a group working against the death penalty, or to the Humane Society.

He's been gone more than 800 days, so you'd think some of the rough edges of grief would have worn down.

Well, no.

But life does go on.

Some months ago, when it became clear that my ancient dachshund gentleman Mr. Carson had had a stroke and had to be gently helped into a peaceful death, one of my coworkers sent me a spectacularly beautiful orchid with multiple spikes of blooms. It was a sweet gesture of sympathy from another dachshund lover.

I enjoyed the blooms for weeks, but resigned myself to the fact that the orchid was doomed, for I have no gift with orchids. But I faithfully followed the directions of more knowledgeable friends, and it stayed alive.

And then two nubs appeared that began to grow into obvious potential blooms.

I was astonished, but dubious that these nubs would ever open into full flower. But when I looked at it this morning, one had, just in time for Gayland's birthday. I had to laugh.


So, if you choose, please make note of Gayland's birthday by making a donation to the 4Saints Episcopal Food Pantry. This amazing little operation works with the Tarrant Area Food Bank to provide food to the increasing number of families with food insecurity. And the numbers grow each week as more and more people lose their jobs due to the pandemic.
You can donate the old fashioned way by mailing a check to :
4Saints Food Pantry,
4301 Meadowbrook Dr.
Fort Worth, Texas 76103


or use the Venmo app @Four-SaintsFood.

Gayland would love that he might have a part in feeding hungry people.

Now to get through this day.

Happy birthday, my love. I miss you so.

2 comments:

cd0103 said...

Bless you. I will donate in Gayland's name. I cannot imagine 800 days. It has been 270 days since my love left and some days, if I didn't have my animals to make me get out of bed, I think I would just stay there.

David said...

dear, dear, Katie. this us uncanny. this morning when Calon lan and i were out for our first walk at 5 a.m., Gayland came to heart in a pause during the morning intercessions and practice. though we've never met it person, i recognized the energy from whenever you've posted a picture of the two of you - in the garden or either side of the fireplace. so worldlessly greeting him by name, i simply wished him love, love, love and thanked him for the many great differences he had made in this suffering world.... and oh yes, you got your own virtual hug, sitting on our tiny front porch, just before Calon lan went into the very real blessings of his breakfast and my morning coffee.. love, love, love from Montreal, dear Katie.